This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Have you ever before intended to make a sandbox in your backyard Not only is having fun with sand a wonderful kinesthetic task for kids of any kind of age, but kids definitely like it! Sandboxes are ageless playthings that will never ever head out of the design in your dreams backyard
We have 3 easy methods to make your dreams a reality. These step-by-step instructions will teach you just how to make a sandbox in your backyard
3 Simple Sandbox Options:
- No tools needed, using a storage space container
- Timeless 4′ x 4′ sandbox
- The large one: using landscape hardwoods
Table Of Contents
- Alternative 1: Use A Storage Container
- Alternative 2: Classic 4’x4′ Sandbox With Bench
- Choice 3: Using Landscape Timber
- Final thought
Alternative 1: Use A Storage Container
No nails, no lumber, no devices! If you have a small backyard, or you are uncertain about making a long-term fixture in your backyard, then this is the sandbox for you! It is likewise one of the most time and budget-friendly.
Have a look around your houses as well as chances are you already have something that can be made use of as a fast sandbox Assume about plastic storage space container boxes or extra toy containers.
If you do not have something you can re-purpose, after that a fast journey to the shop will get you every little thing you need!
- Plastic Storage container, such as an under-the-bed storage container
- 1-2 50lb bags of play sand
Action 1: Choose and Buy Container
Figure out the dimension of the plastic container that you desire for the sandbox We recommend a lengthy under-the-bed plastic storage space container. Nonetheless, basically any kind of dimension container can work for a quick sandbox
Action 2: Buy Play Sand
You will need about 1 bags of play sand, depending upon the size of the your bin selections. Take your containers outside and also pour the sand in. Include spoons, mugs, as well as seashells. Relax and also watch as your kid bets hours!
Alternative 2: Classic 4’x4′ Sandbox With Bench
This no-frills classic sandbox design will take less time building, so your youngsters have even more time for playing! Two benches on the end give a comfy area to rest or place sand toys. This will be a DIY job, you can’t wait to reveal all your pals!
- (Base) Two 1 x 8 boards cut to 47 1/2″
- (Base) Two 1 x 8 boards reduced to 46″
- (Supports) Four 2 x 2 boards at 7 1/2″
- (Bench) Two 1 x 6 boards at 47 1/2″
- 1 1/4″ screws
- About 8 cu. Feet of play sand or determine the quantity needed
- Paint/Stain (optional)
- Gauging tapes
* A crucial note on product: Cedar is the advised material for sandboxes as well as yard beds. It is naturally splinter, climate, and rot resistant. Usage pressure-treated timber knowledgeably as well as at your very own danger. Anything treated with CCA contains arsenic as well as can be harmful Whatever material you pick, please research study that it is safe to be in a call with kids.
Action 1: Prep Site
First, select a preferable location. Take into consideration the quantity of sun/shade direct exposure and also the drain of your backyards. Make sure that your sandbox will certainly not end up being a fish pond after the rains!
Second, clear the sandbox area of sod. This will help avoid your sandbox from coming to be a weed or turf yard!
Third, we suggest digging down the location of the your boxes concerning 4-6 inches. Digging down will help to support the wall surfaces of your box and also stop bowing. If you select not to dig deep into an opening for the sandbox, you may require to sustain the sides with stakes.
Fourth, lay about one inch of sand or pea gravel in your ready location. This will certainly aid you to level the structure when it is placed in placement.
Action 2: Assemble Base
- Start making the base framework of the box from both 47 1/2 “pieces and also the two 46” items.
- Action and also draw a line about 2 inches inset from the ends of the 47 1/2 “items. This will mark where you will certainly inset and screw the ends of the 46” pieces.
- Pre-drill openings and screw the 47 1/2 “boards to the 46” boards at ideal angles to develop a box.
- Area the 4 2 × 2 boards inside the edges to provide support to a package. Pierce the screws from the outside in.
View this action in the activity below:
Step 3: Create Bench
- Merely utilize 2 1 × 6 boards to develop bench seats on the top of the sides with the 46″ pieces.
- Lay each 1 × 6 board across the sandbox on contrary ends.
- Square completions as well as corners of the bench to the end of the 47 1/2 ″ boards.
- Usage two screws on completions of each bench to safeguard in place.
Step 4: Sand And Paint
Now you can include your personality to it!
Initially, sand packages to get rid of any splinters. After that, gently wipe the box down with a wet towel. Lastly, paint or stain package to your wanted appearance as well as let completely dry.
Step 5: Move Sandbox
With the aid of an additional adult, move your sandbox to the backyard website.
Step 6: Attach Weed Barrier
Roll out the weed barrier inside the sandbox Pull up the sides of the package about 4 inches. Ensure to push the textile into all 4 edges. Tack the fabric down with staples or small nails.
Action 7: Fill With Sand
Gather regarding 8 cu. Feet of play sand and also spread uniformly.
Just how to Calculate the Amount of Sand Needed
You can constantly think exactly how much sand you require, yet we advise calculating the appropriate amount. This formula will certainly give you cubic feet: size-x size x depth.
As an example: 4 feet x 4 feet x 0.5 feet (6 inches) = 8 cubic feet
This will certainly give you cubic feet required to load your boxes. Most bags of play sand can be found in 0.5 cubic feet or 50 pound bags. To achieve 8 cu. Feet of sand, you will need to buy 16-50 pound bags of play sand.
Step 8: Add Toys And Enjoy
Add scoops, shovels, vehicles, and sand playthings to your boxes. Take pleasure in hrs of easy play!
Choice 3: Using Landscape Timber
Landscaping lumber makes a tough alternative for a fast sandbox To make this task simple, we will certainly be using the full 8 feet to make sure that no cuts require to be made. This sandbox will be regarding 8′ x 8′ and also large sufficient for all your kids to play at once!
- 16 Landscape Timbers, 8 feet lengthy
- 8, 7 ″ Galvanized Pole Barn Nails
- 36, 5 ″ Exterior Wood Screws
- Cordless drill/driver
- 70 square feet of Weed Barrier
- Framework Square
- Utility Knife
- 2 cubic yards of Play Sand or compute the amount
Step 1: Prep Site
You will certainly prepare your site the very same method we advised for the classic 4′ x 4′ sandbox
The main factors to bear in mind are:
- Selecting a great place in the yard
- Clearing sod and also leveling the location
- Digging deep into 4-6 inches of dirt: This will certainly provide your structure support and also include to its longevity
- Developing a layer of sand or pea crushed rock about 1 inch thick
Step 2: Assemble First Layer
First, start will certainly 2 items of landscape lumber and position them to create an edge of the sandbox Next off, make use of a degree as well as framework square to ensure the items are as degree and also square as possible.
Finally, utilize two post barn nails to hold it in position to the ground.
Repeat with the opposite edge. Make certain you are developing a square by alternating the corners as shown in Part 2 Step 2 of this illustration Bear in mind to secure the edge to the ground with the pole barn nails.
Action 3: Lay Out Weed Barrier
Cover the first layer of hardwood as well as the lower flooring of the sandbox with landscape fabric. Turn out the material and curtain it over the sides of the box. You will need to make a couple of passes to cover the entire floor. Overlap the fabric by 1-2 inches down the middle. Secure the fabric to the tops of the initial layer of hardwoods utilizing staples or nails. Excess material will certainly be eliminated later on.
Step 4: Assemble Remaining 3 Layers
Proceed including layers as you did in action 2. Remember to alternate the overlapping boards so it is balanced out from the one underneath it. Usage three screws, one on each end and one between, to hold each item in location.
Remove any excess fabric that may be revealing through the beyond the sandbox
Step 5: Fill With Sand
Currently is the enjoyable component! Discard all the sand into your new box as well as enjoy it fill! You may marvel exactly how much sand this sandbox can hold.
Step 6: Enjoy Your New And Large Sandbox
Have your children invite their buddies over and also delight in the children playing in the sandbox for hours!
Treatment Your Sandbox
Image your bit one running outside to appreciate their sandbox as you are relishing the tranquility and peaceful, they bring you a “reward” that an animal left behind in their box! Yuck!
This is one reason we do suggest that you cover your sandbox when it is not being used. Treatment your sandbox will lower the amount of debris that falls or is blown right into the package. It will also keep undesirable pets (as well as their feces) out!
A sandbox cover may be as basic as a tarpaulin draped over the top. One more method to cover is to include folding seats that function as a cover as seen right here
Whether huge or tiny, making a sandbox in your backyard is certain to develop ageless memories!
We showed you numerous design options. A no-tools choice will have your toddler having fun in the time it takes you to visit the store! The classic 4′ x 4′ box is an easy layout and will look ideal in any backyard Finally, the landscape wood sandbox will certainly offer you a box huge sufficient for every person to dip into the very same time.
Which sandbox did you make in your backyard
Currently bring up a lounge chair and also soak in the sunlight while your kids are gladly playing!