This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
A fire pit is an inviting addition to backyard patios and also yards, as well as a well-maintained pit will certainly last for several years. When establishing up an in-ground or mobile fire pit in your yard, following particular best practices will permit you to appreciate your exterior fire safely.
One of the simplest means you can maintain a wood burning fire pit in good shape is by including sand to the bottom of the pit, whether it’s in-ground or a moveable steel container. The sand will certainly insulate and also soak up warm, containing the fire and shielding the pit products. For gas fueled fire pits, just fire -secure rocks need to be included for decorative functions and to cover the gas pipes and also heaters.
Table Of Contents
- Kinds Of Fire Pits
- Should I Put Stone In The Bottom Of My Fire Pit?
- What To Put Around A Fire Pit
- Does A Fire Pit Need A Liner?
- What Can I Burn In A Fire Pit?
- What Not To Put In A Fire Pit
- Can You Cook Over A Metal Fire Pit?
- How Often Should I Clean My (Metal) Fire Pit?
- Do Not Douse Metal Fire Pits With Water To Put Out The Flames
Kinds Of Fire Pits
The safety measures you take will rely on the kind of fire pits you have. There are 4 various types:
- In-ground wood burning — These sorts of fire pits are made with a short square or circular rock wall to maintain the fire contained. They typically have an inner steel fire pit ring or square insert to soak up the warm and keep the fire from dehydrating or fracturing the stone barrier. The bottom of these open wood burning pits can be paved stone or crushed rock and should have a couple of inches of sand to soak up the heat from the timber.
- In-ground gas burning — This kind of fire pits normally has a paved rock base as well as doesn’t require a sand liner because the flames will be produced by a burner that is increased off the ground. These fire pits may feature steel logs or be full of ornamental stones to cover as well as safeguard the piping.
- Mobile wood burning — Movable wood burning fire pits are made of steel or an additional extremely high heat-tolerant metal. They often have legs to increase them off the ground, a strong base that possibly has air shaft for oxygen flow, a strong or grated steel body, as well as occasionally a grated steel cover. A layer of sand in the bottom of these sorts of fire pits will certainly protect and also secure it from splitting and also wearing away from the warmth.
- Mobile gas burning — Portable gas burning fire pits are additionally made from steel and also are fitted with piping as well as heaters affixed to a propane gas source inside the system. These generally likewise featured lava rocks, fire glass, or various other kinds of rock for ornamental functions.
Should I Put Stone In The Bottom Of My Fire Pit?
Fire pits can be developed on stone foundations to help regulate the fire In-ground wood burning fire pits are either positioned on paved surfaces or are set up on a layer of crushed rock as well as sand, while gas burning in-ground pits are generally developed directly on a paved foundation. Moveable steel pits, whether wood burning or gas sustained, are additionally safest on a smooth surface like a patio area however can be safely utilized on a fire mat or on non-grassy ground.
Stone and also steel are the best materials to utilize for a fire pit, as these have high warm resistance and also will certainly take a long time to be damaged by fire if they do get damaged whatsoever. They take in heat and also won’t melt or rust when cared for effectively. There are a number of different types of stone that are used for the different kinds of fire pits:
- Sand — Sand is made from lots of small stones and stone-like inorganic products and also is a superb liner for in-ground and steel base fire pits. It acts as an insulator, a layer of defense that soaking up warmth and distributes it evenly, so no person place obtains as well warm. This is especially vital for steel bottom pits given that heating concentrated in a couple of areas will certainly damage the steel. Most sand is either silica (white) or playground (tan), so what sort of sand you make use of in a fire pit may be based on your preference.
- Block as well as patio area pavers — These thick rocks have very high heat resistances, and many in-ground fire pits are developed on a stone-paved surface to manage the fire
- Lava rocks — Lava rocks have high warm resistance, as well as they assist with water drainage of your fire pit. They are best in gas-burning systems since they create an insulation around the piping and aid uniformly distribute fires and also warmth.
- Fire glass — This toughened up glass is created to stand up to high warm and also serve for decorative purposes in gas sustained fire pits. They shouldn’t be made use of in wood fires since the greater temperatures can shatter the glass.
River rocks and also other natural rocks aren’t advised for the bottom of a fire pit and also even as decorative might pose issues. They soak up a lot of moisture as well as can easily explode when warmed up.
What To Put Around A Fire Pit
Relying on the sort of fire pit you have, one or another kind of obstacle may be a necessary additional caution to take. All kinds of fire pits should remain in an open area, like the middle of the lawn or on an open paved patio, with a hose pipe helpful. Chairs need to be kept 5 or 6 feet from the side of the fire
For in-ground fire pits, sand around the outer edges will help maintain turf away from the pit and keep the surrounding location from capturing fire Mobile fire pits that are established in a grassy area should have fire mats under them and also need to be kept in a grassless 6-foot size. Portable timber burning or gas sustained fire pits shouldn’t be made use of on a wooden deck or on synthetic turf yard.
Does A Fire Pit Need A Liner?
Adding a layer of sand or an additional type of stone to the bottom of a fire pit is the only liner that the unit or shedding location will certainly require. Mobile systems can be positioned on fire mats to hinder any went down ashes from figuring anything, and also in-ground fire pits will certainly typically have an internal steel fire pit ring to absorb the warm and safeguard the outer rock wall surface.
What Can I Burn In A Fire Pit?
The best materials to burn in a fire pit won’t wear away the unit. Just timber or wood-based items need to be melted in a wood burning fire pit. The best wood is hardwood pine, which holds little dampness and dries out effectively. Wood pellets as well as wood blocks are likewise good alternatives to shed in your wood gas pit, as both are constructed from timber shavings, timber chips, and sawdust. These dry materials burn cleanly, not generating added smoke or stimulates.
You should not add anything combustible in all to a gas fueled fire pits or mobile gas system. Only decorative rocks or attractive steel logs can be utilized in these. No kind of wood must ever before being taken into gas fueled fire pits. The intense warm produced by the wood fire can harm the piping and heaters and also cause a danger of the surge of the gas source.
What Not To Put In A Fire Pit
Among the largest errors you can make that will certainly damage your fire pit is burning points that shouldn’t be melted. The majority of combustible materials shouldn’t be taken into a fire, particularly:
- Accelerator liquid — Lighter liquid, fuel, and kerosene should never be used for a bonfire or in your fire pits considering that they are harmful and also position a risk for explosion, in addition to deteriorating the steel and also rock material Always make use of completely dry kindling to begin wood fires. You will certainly never need a strong or liquid starter for a gas burning fire pit.
- Plastic — Plastic products (containers, wrappers, bags, etc), in addition to being poisonous, will certainly thaw and be exceptionally hard to get rid of from the units. Plastics should never ever be melted.
- Treated timber or furniture — Wood that has actually been dealt with for construction or furnishings will release chemical fumes in the exact same method that plastic as well as accelerator liquids do as well as should not be utilized for fires.
- Magazines or junk mail — Like dealt with wood, publications and also spam have chemical treatments like glosses and also inks that give off poisonous fumes as well as leave buildup in your fire pit.
- Environment-friendly timber — While not hazardous, environment-friendly timber is damp and won’t melt well. It will certainly stand out and also smoke as well as ought to be stayed clear of for completely dry, dead wood.
Can You Cook Over A Metal Fire Pit?
Cooking over an open fire is among the biggest draws of having a fire pit, however only particular sorts of pits need to be prepared over. In-ground wood burning fire pits are the best to prepare over given that there is no steel or piping to harm with drippings or any dropped food.
Steel wood-burning systems can end up being tough to clean if there is grease buildup, as well as not all of it might be captured by the sand cellular lining. If you have not place any type of sand down, the grease can be difficult to wipe and also will certainly wear away and add to the deterioration of the base.
How Often Should I Clean My (Metal) Fire Pit?
Normal fire pit upkeep will have your pit giving you clean-burning fires over years. Sand ought to be replaced every couple of earnings since it will start to tarnish and also might accumulate wetness and dirt over time. Ash ought to additionally be eliminated from steel units to avoid accumulation as well as deterioration of the bottom The ash can hold on to wetness, resulting in corrosion as well as other rust of the steel.
A steel fire pit unit ought to be washed with soap and also water at the very least when or twice a year, depending upon just how usually it’s used, as well as dried out completely to stay clear of rusting. Steel units should constantly be cleaned up before taking into storage space if it isn’t out year-round. Gas-fueled systems need to be cleaned regularly so there is no accumulation in the heaters or backyard particles that can capture fire
Do Not Douse Metal Fire Pits With Water To Put Out The Flames
Putting water on a fire in a metal container can damage the steel bottom of the device, weakening it gradually from the shocks of abrupt temperature change. If this is done routinely, it will start to split as well as collapse faster than later.
When you’re completed with your fire in a steel device, you ought to enable it to stress out and cool off completely prior to making use of water to wash the ashes away. Make certain the steel dries out well since any kind of standing wetness can bring about corrosion.